Saturday, March 22, 2008

Departure Wine Company tasting


I went to a wine tasting tonight at morry's of Naples for a very small winery called Departure Wine Company. It was a lovely evening filled with wine, yummy artichoke tapenade and new friends. We tasted four of their wines:
1.2006 Santa Barbara County Viognier which sells for $22
2.2006 Silacci Vineyard Pinot Noir which sells for $38
3.2006 Santa Barbara County Syrah which sells for $22
4.2006 Tierra Alta Vineyard Syrah which sells for $30

My favorite was the Pinot Noir. there's is an unusual Pinot in that it is Unfiltered and a bit sweeter than most. I ended up buying a bottle of the Pinot for future wine drinking! The Viognier was a bit sweet for my liking and it's a white-I don't drink alot of whites-but this would be nice on a really hot day!! The two Syrahs were completely different. I was not fond of the Santa Barbara COunty Syrah-too harsh a taste for me, but the Tierra Alta Syrah was very nice, and I contemplated buying a bottle of that as well.

If you are interested in any of these wines, hurry because all of their wines are small production-not many cases are made.

Check them out: http://www.departurewines.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

1 comment:

George said...

They have a great Viognier