Monday, February 4, 2008

Barking Sheep 2006 Malbec Bonarda

The WINE
The Dog-who on occasion barks-usually at sheep
Look SHEEP!
A close-up of the SHEEP!


First of all let me preface this by saying I love buying wines for the label! The prettier the label the more it catches my eye. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices wine this way! So when I was in Target one day (yes Target in California-don't know what other states allow Target to carry wine) I stumbled upon this wine that was screaming BUY ME so I did. Let me tell you why. I own an Australian Cattle Dog, a herding dog. And I take her sheep herding(it's easier to find sheep to herd than cattle here in LA). So when i saw this bottle that said Barking Sheep I thought to myself-how perfect for my house!!! At $8.99 it wasn't expensive and what an appropriate label......so off I went with my bottle of Barking Sheep Malbec.

Now as you figured the Malbec is a wine from Argentina. This one is 50% Malbec and 50% Bonarda. I didn't know and still don't know what the Bonarda grape is....but you know what it was pretty darn good. A nice fruity taste that went down easily and nicely. I baked a piece of Herb encrusted Cod and made a spinach salad and sat down to eat dinner with this wine. Very Nice. Mind you i think this wine would go well with just about anything-sometimes i drink my wine with potato chips-I know what kind of wine connoisseur am I? Ha the normal no pretentious kind.....

I enjoyed this wine. It was best the day I opened the bottle-didn't really hold very well the next day. But I drank it anyway....how can one waste a Barking Sheep!!! I've never seen a Barking Sheep!!

2 comments:

jameson said...

I love that Target sells wine out here! Nothing like picking up some shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, a new coffee maker, and a nice inexpensive bottle of wine... oh yeah and their chips (archer farms) are killer too!

Jean said...

PKPWV, I love your wine blog! Please keep up the good work, I look forward to reading more of your reviews. Those Malbecs from Argentina are great values. I will keep an eye out for this.

You are lucky that your Target store sell wine. I don't think any of them here in MN sell it! :(